Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Flavor of the Day: Comfort Food















One day in the last quarter of last year, I found myself in a supermarket desperately searching for Ruffles Potato Chips. Because I remembered the very first time I had them was in a US trip with Rita. We tasted it, and we just couldn't believe how potato chips could taste that good. I didn't find the exact flavor I wanted but I loaded whatever I could find into my cart, which was soon filled with chocolates, popcorn, soda, and other junk food.

That night I sat in front of the TV, mindlessly watching some show, maybe with the Kardashians in it. And I went through a big bag of Ruffles, a tub of popcorn, almost a liter of Coke Zero, and some sweet stuff too. In one sitting. I am not big on junk food, but that night I needed, craved uncomplicated comfort food, food that did not require a fine palate.

In the past few months, my search for comfort has gone beyond food. Books. Shoes. Barbies. Clothes. Anything I could grasp, hold tight, consume.

It's sad though that the comfort I really need is really not available. The real thing I want cannot be found on earth.

Image from: http://www.yumsugar.com/Product-Review-Kettle-Krinkle-Cut-Cheddar-Sour-Cream-Chips-8501527

So, for now, comfort food will have to suffice.


No comments:

Post a Comment